Wednesday, February 24, 2010

First Restaurant Review: El Compadre (Hollywood).

 



[This marks my first ever restaurant review.  Stick with me; it’s all over the place.]


This past Sunday morning, I woke up half-hazy from the night before (Hollywood, DJ Steffi, lots of Belvedere on the rocks).  Since I never seem to sleep well after going dumb the night before, I woke up around 10:00 a.m. (after going to bed at 5:00 a.m.) and couldn’t go back to sleep.  So, I shot a quick text to my friend Scott to inform him that he wanted to exercise with me.  Thirty minutes later, Scott and I were on the train to Hollywood to hike Runyon Canyon



[SIDEBAR:  This hike marked only the second time in all of my visits to Runyon that I did not see Dane Cook running the trails.  A part of me is beginning to miss him.]


After the hike, Scott and I discussed our collective hankering for Mexican food.  Since the hiking trail let us off right on Hollywood Blvd (and we hate tourists), we headed south to Sunset to seek out provisions.  As soon as we hit Sunset, an old friend of mine from Indianapolis (who just recently relocated to Los Angeles) ran right past me with his iPod on.  At first, he didn’t recognize me because he has not seen me since I started rocking the “Tom Hanks:  ‘Cast Away’” haircut.  I was eventually able to stop him and we conversed.  During the convo, my friend gave me a tip on a nearby Mexican spot that he frequents.  Shortly after parting ways with my long lost comrade Scott and I started down Sunset toward El Compadre Mexican Restaurant.

As soon as we walked up in the spot, I almost fell on my face.  It was so dark inside the restaurant that I did not see the step up from the front door.  After almost smashing my face coming through the entrance, a staff member came to show Scott and me to our table…and I nearly broke my neck for a second time in 60 seconds because I did not see the decline ramp leading from the foyer back down to the dining room level.


[SIDEBAR:  I am not a clumsy person.  I am a lifelong athlete and consider myself to be quite coordinated and agile.  I just struggled with the lighting in the restaurant because it was incredibly sunny outside and extremely dim inside.  Since I did not have time to let my eyes adjust to being indoors before being shown to our table, I nearly paralyzed myself…twice…in 60 seconds.] 



Seconds after sitting down, fresh tortilla chips and salsa were distributed and our drink orders were promptly taken.  I unfolded my menu and immediately began double-fisting chips and salsa.  As I was shoveling fistfuls of chips and salsa into my mouth, I noticed that Deryck Whibley from Sum 41 was sitting in the booth next to us.  That would have been worth mentioning back in 2006.  I would have taken a pic for this entry, but as you already know the lighting was poor-and since iPhones take bad pictures in perfect illumination, getting anything useable in El Compadre’s murky interior was highly improbable.

The other reason I didn’t take a picture of Deryck is because it’s not 2006.

Back to the food...

It is important to note that El Compadre may have the best chips and salsa that I have ever had in my lifetime.  The chips were fresh and crisp.  The salsa was more soupy than chunky (just like I like it) and packed a pleasant punch of radiating heat.  It is also important to notate that the salsa might be considered too hot for beginners and fans of ‘Twilight.’  But, if you mess with the spicy stuff, you are in for a treat.  Scott and I crushed three baskets of chips and nearly four cups of salsa before our entrées even arrived.

The restaurant did not seem particularly busy for 12:30 p.m. on a Sunday afternoon, but the food did seem to take a while.  Though I try, I am not a patient man (…boy).  Although, I was less impatient on this occasion because the chips and salsa were so life-altering.

When the food arrived, a fried chicken burrito (sans sour cream and guacamole, per my specifications) was placed in front of me.  It was effectively a chimichanga (shredded chicken and cheese inside a fried flour tortilla and topped with red sauce and even more shredded cheese).  Spanish rice and refried beans came on the side.

I put on my game face and got to business.

Sadly, the chicken smelled and tasted like it was cooked on Saturday, spent the night in a bucket of water at room temperature, and reheated in a microwave for my tasting pleasure on Sunday.  After my initial foray into the burrito, I gagged back a few more bites just to make certain that I was officially having the nastiest burrito of my career.  After the 4th bite I gave Scott the official confirmation and laid the thing to rest.

The Spanish rice smelled like mop water and yet somehow had no taste whatsoever.

The refried beans were satisfactory in every way.

 
I found the staff at El Compadre to be pleasantly attentive and polite.

I found their chips and salsa to be remarkable-so much so that Scott and I each ate them to the point of extreme discomfort.

I found their chicken to be similar in many ways to road kill.

But, this place has that good crushed ice that makes everyone happy (these things matter).


Overall, I would give them a 6.8.  Everything was good except for my entrée (and maybe the rice).  My love for Mexican food makes me want to give this place a second run with a different entrée…and maybe on a Saturday.



El Compadre Mexican Restaurant
7408 West Sunset Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA
 (323) 874-7924



If you are in Hollywood and looking for Mexican fare, maybe pop in.  If you do, send us a message and let us know what you thought.  Just don’t get the chicken (on Sundays).

Quite possibly the perfect place to spend a relaxing afternoon the next time your optometrist dilates your pupils.



You’re welcome,

-@WordsByTodd  (Follow Me!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mmmm...Mexican...make me want to hit up Puerta Vallarta! :)